Liebe Familie,In order to do effective German Family History, a basic knowledge of German is required. Experience hands any researcher a basic knowledge of the language. However, one always comes upon words they do not understand and quick access to a good dictionary is key to efficient research. For quick reference, visit this Online English-German Dictionary: http://www.dict.cc/. This is especially helpful when writing letters to a German hometown, church or archive. Also, for further tips, although it is not accurate in grammar and form, the following translation site is sufficient enough that a German reader can understand your request: http://www.freetranslation.com/. Although most Germans can speak and read English as a second language, addressing them in their own language may result in a more ready answer. Deutsch ist Total Hammar! Viel Spaß!

1 comment:
What a neat translation web site! I sent Ambree and email in Portuguese - I hope she finds it entertaining :) I will be interested in hearing how it translated when I chat with her later today. Thanks for mentioning the site!
Post a Comment